Monday, August 5, 2013

Young chicks of the Little Green Pigeon

Little Green Pigeon or Punai Daun (Malay)

Newly hatched chicks of the Punai Daun, 2 August'13

 In my wildest dreams! Yes! I am having a watching brief over two newly hatched chicks of the Little Green Pigeon.  A couple of days ago while tending to the oil palm trees I chanced upon the loud flutter of wings taking off just above my head.  Upon checking the spot where the sound originated, I was extremely surprised to say the least to see two chicks just hatched in a nest of twigs gathered from the Eugenia oleina tree.  The nest was built on leaf branches of the oil palm tree.   On the ground below the nest I saw a half-split  egg shell.  I said to myself I'll be back to take more pictures of the chicks as the drama enfolds.....

The female pigeon resting in its nest, protecting the young chicks..
 Today, I noticed the mother was guarding the youngsters jealously .  I peeped at her and she peeped back, apparently having a cool and unfrightened look at me which  gave me more opportunities to photoshoot her in the nest.  I am looking forward to see the chicks in better plummage soon...and to give them some appropraite names....Let the show continues.....
Nest of twigs taken fron the Eugenia oleina tree branches..

No comments:

Post a Comment