Tuesday, October 2, 2018

A lifer of the Raffles Malkoha

Raffles Malkoha (Rhinortha chlorophaea) - male of the species

After a slight rain in the morning was over  I decided to explore the jungle behind where we stay. At Botanic Island One I,  my attention was directed to some movement in the branches above me.  I quickly get my zoom lens ready and then it was a series of clicks, clicks, clicks.. Checking in the camera later and counter referencing with my birding guide book I was pleasantly elated to discover that I had come across a lifer.  It was the Raffles Malkoha (Rhinortha chlorophaea).  On this encounter I was not able to meet its female as it is commonly reported that this species prefer to foraging with its partner.  The main characteristics that strike me was its white-tipped tail and its beautiful rufous upper parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment