Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A new year, renewed hope

Musa hirta- variously called as Pisang Hutan (Malay); Pisang Lengki/Kera/Gentu (Iban); Pisang Giang (Bidayuh)
Location:  Botanic Island One

 The first day of the new year and has been drizzling since dawn till about 10 am.  I took the first opportunity to have a walkabout with an umbrella and a camera.  Surprise is too mild a word.  Feeling exuberated, full of jubilations I came across the 'Monkey Banana' which is what the Ibans call the wild banana Musa hirta.  It has survived many fortunes of the jungle.  There on the jungle floor it managed to keep itself alive, next to a dead trunk.  It is a good sign for the new year, giving me much renewed hope.  The wild orchids especially the Bamboo orchid (Arundina graminifolia) seemed to enjoy the environment and over the past year has multiplied in numbers, without a care of the world.  The many little birds that are born in the park and calling it home came out early to enjoy the nectar of the heliconia plants.  Chief among them is the Little Spiderhunter.  Her bill was made to fit nicely into the orange bracts of the heliconia inflorescence thus empowering it to enjoy nature's bounty, even in flight.  Climbing up the steep Cempedak Hill, I notice the bee-like social wasps have constructed a pretty looking nest hanging from a branch of the Cempedak tree ( Artocarpus integer).  Coming close to the nest I could sense they were slightly agitated by the clicking of my camera and my umbrella.  A few came out of the entrance of the nest and with abdomens erect were ready to give me a sting if I moved in closer.  I gave up.  I don't want to end my first day of 2015 in bed.  Be safe, be happy, be kind and compassionate for 2015.
Bamboo orchid - Arundina graminifolia

Enjoying nature's bounty even in flight - Little Spiderhunter

Like the bees we are winged insects (or wasps) , forever bringing home knowledge and learning.  Home is where the heart is.
"We, men of knowledge are unknown to ourselves." ...who says so?

View of lowland dipterocarp forest preserved at the park
Location : Zone B

Oil palm trees in mixed planting to add to existing bio-diversity and produce income to help fund conservation activities at the park.

A truly wild-type of Rambutan tree, as part of the gene pool at the park.

1 comment: