Friday, June 24, 2016

A pair of Black Hornbill

Black Hornbill - male at top of picture and female, bottom of picture.
Location : Licuala Hill, Zone I

 Hearing the loud brays and grunts originating from Zone I,  made me hurry for my camera.  Within minutes, I  quickly climbed the  Licuala Hill at Zone I,  My focus was on the loud calls and next thing I could see was  a pair of hornbill perching on the tallest dead tree at top of the hill.
I took pictures of the birds from a distance of about 150 meters and the lighting conditions was not ideal but this shot is largely for the record.  This is one of the rare times when the Black Hornbill drops by in a pair.  The male has a white to pale yellow bill whereas the female bill is dark brown to black.  It is interesting to note that the Black Hornbill is a bird of the primary forest of Sarawak or Borneo. It is overall covered in black plumage with the female having a long band of white flurry feathers from head to nape.  In the middle of the band is a thin strip of black (by zooming in the picture).
Favourite perch of the Black Hornbill at Licuala Hill, Zone I.

No comments:

Post a Comment