Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A lifer - Lesser Cuckoo-shrike

Lesser Cuckoo-shrike
Location : Licuala Hill, Zone I

 Three days ago something amazing happened.  I saw a new bird.  Unfortunately the heightened interest gradually evaporated and finally diminished because of the very poor internet reception at the park.  For the last three days I tried to upload pictures but to no avail.  Tonight there appears to be a window of opportunity as the internet by fluke was able to carry some pictures.  So I am able to tell the story that excited me three days ago tonite.  The story happened when I was birding at Sunset point located at Licuala Hill (Zone I).  While my attention was directed at the Tiongs or Hill Myna birds, I heard an unfamiliar call and tried to search among the tall trees the source of the call.  By a stroke of good luck my eyes were caught by an unfamiliar looking bird perching on a branch some 15 meters away.  I zoomed my camera lens  towards the bird and caught a glimpse of it.  It gave me less than five minutes after which it flew away.  Upon closing in the image I discovered that the bird was a Lesser Cuckoo-shrike, a female of the species for its extensively barred dark grey underparts.  Another identifying feature was the white-tipped feathers  on its dark grey under-tails.  This sighting is  a lifer for me.
Lesser Cuckoo-shrike (Coracina fimbriata)

No comments:

Post a Comment