Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A new bird in town - Dark-sided Flycatcher


 It has  been two days since I noticed this bird at Zone B but was not able to identify it.  Today she dropped by again at the same location and prompted me to check the literature and pictures about her.  It seemed that this bird is the Dark-sided Flycatcher (Muscicapa sibirica).  However I'm pretty sure she is still a juvenile and probably born here because she kept on making appearance at the same location for the last two days.  It seemed to be hunting for insects or flies.   I observed that she has a peculiar habit of flying to and fro in between three or four perches nearby. According to the literature, it is a winter visitor to Borneo (or Sarawak for that matter ) from Northern and Central Asia ( Himalayas and Yunnan) . It is my hope that this flycatcher  will remain a regular feature of the park even though once in a year.

Dark-sided Flycatcher ( Musicicapa sibirica)

No comments:

Post a Comment